3 min Read; 8/1/2022; By Fourrie
What is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is the extract created when the meat of the coconut fruit from a coconut palm plant is pressed. The extract is 100% fat and 80 to 90% saturated fat. It is most commonly sourced from The Philippines, Indonesia and India It is often incorporated into products due to it being highly moisturizing and nourishing to hair and skin. Some holistic and naturopathic veterinarians believe that coconut oil has qualities that can aid in many types of canine conditions.
- Topically it alleviates inflammation and skin irritations like rashes, hot spots, dry spots and hives
- Promotes healthy glossy coats
- Functions as a natural fleas and tick repellent
- The raw oil can be heavy on a dogs coat when applied directly but can be easily resolved by using products with coconut oil as a ingredient
- When consumed in large amounts it can irritate and cause gastrointestinal issues
How to use it:
Use products containing coconut like shampoos and paw or nose balm. Use balm daily to moisturize their paws and nose.
When looking for these products avoid artificial fragrances and dyes and look for natural fragrances, like chamomile, lavender, eucalyptus, and citrus.
According to the American Kennel Club “Shampoos made with organic oils such as coconut oil can improve damaged skin and reduce allergens.”